Mentoring & Coaching
Every effective leader is inevitably also a mentor and a coach, whereby, his or her role is to raise the competency levels of others.Mentoring & Coaching teaches you:
i. To have clear understanding of the role of a mentor and coach.
ii. To adopt an effective and structured process to make mentoring and coaching processes effective.
iii. Vital human relations skills to build a strong mentor-mentee relationship.
Who Should Attend
Managers, Supervisors, or Team Leaders who have difficulty realising the full potential of their diverse teams.
Developing others does not happen automatically. It is an intentional process whereby a leader consciously mentors and coaches those within his or her circle of influence. In this programme, Mentoring & Coaching is designed to develop your mentoring and coaching skills so that you become a vehicle for developing your company’s resources to achieve their full potential.
|Defining Mentoring & Understanding The Mentors’ Role||• Understanding different aspects of mentoring
• Understanding what mentoring is not
• Different roles that mentors play
|Why Leaders Do Not Mentor?||• Understanding reasons behind why leaders are reluctant to mentor others
• Exposing fear, insecurity, pride and lack of competency
• Expounding on the benefits of a successful mentoring culture within an organisation
|The 8 Steps Coaching Process||• Discovering 8 process steps to structure a coaching relationship to ensure success|
|Step 1: Discover the Opportunity||• Learning to identify opportunities and gaps that require coaching and mentoring
• Understanding the Johari window and how it presents opportunities for coaching
• Learning to select the right mentee
|Step 2: Define the Mentoring Relationship||• Understanding the different types of mentoring relationships
• Learning how to scope and obtain agreement with a mentee
|Step 3: Agree On the End Results||• Identifying current reality vs end results
• Learning to define competency gaps
• Setting time frames
• Creating win-win relationships
|Step 4: Establish the Right Mind-Set/ Mentoring–Coachin Form||• Learning principles that will set the right attitude for the mentee
• Understanding the power of motivation and how to provide it for the mentee
• Keeping mentees and mentors accountable through a formal process
• Learning how to engage in the first mentor-mentee conversation
|Step 5: Provide Resources||• Understanding the need to provide critical resources to make the coaching relationship work
• Identifying types of resources that are needed
|Step 6: Practice & Competency Development||• Understanding how competency is developed
• Learning principles of effective coaching
• Role playing the coaching environment
|Step 7: Provide Feedback||• Learning the need of giving timely feedback
• Learning the differences and consequences between positive and constructive feedback
• Learning to overcome non-performance
|Step 8: Recognition and Reward||• Understanding the power of recognition in the mentoring process
• Learning the different kinds of recognition (formal and informal)
• Learning how to deliver effective recognitions that build trust and motivation
|Qualities of an Influential Mentor||• Learning 15 qualities that the mentor needs to embrace in order to be effective|
|Why Mentoring Initiatives Fail||• Understanding the dynamics that are needed to make the mentoring process and relationship work|